In some circumstances, participants can be granted exemptions from part of the online learning – although it is still a requirement that you participate in the online discussions with your peers. This is in agreement with the NCTL, for participants who may have completed a NCTL programme previously, or have completed relevant postgraduate studies.
Please see the below information regarding exemptions:
Leadership East has agreed the following exemption arrangements for school leaders who have successfully undertaken NCTL programmes detailed below:
1. Middle leadership development programme (MLDP) and Leading from the Middle (LftM):
School leaders who have successfully completed MLDP or LftM and wish to undertake the National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership can request exemption from one topic.
HEI post graduate qualifications
Leadership East has agreed the following exemption arrangements for school leaders who have successfully undertaken post graduate studies in educational leadership (Certificates, Diploma and higher degrees) as follows:
1. Post graduate certificate or diploma in educational leadership:
School leaders who have successfully completed a post graduate certificate or diploma in educational leadership can request exemption from one topic area from any of the following qualifications: NPQML, NPQSL, NPQH or NPQEL.
2. Higher degree in educational leadership:
School leaders who have successfully completed a higher degree in educational leadership can request exemption from up to two topic areas from the National Qualification for Middle Leadership and the National Qualification for Senior Leadership.
Post graduate exemption terms:
- Both the ‘educational’ and ‘leadership’ elements of the requirement must be met. For example, studies focused solely on classroom practice or pedagogy with no leadership element would not be eligible.
- When submitting requests for exemption, school leaders should supply details of the qualification content (course outline, unit titles) clearly indicating the leadership elements. The leadership focus should account for at least 25% of the course content. Evidence of successful completion must be provided by school leaders.
- School leaders will also need to demonstrate, at final assessment; how the programmes / post graduate studies have improved their leadership and impacted on their school (further details will be provided in the information about final assessment)
- Participants can only use their previous experience from a specific qualification for one exemption. For example, if exemption from one content area for NPQML has been granted because a school leader has a post graduate certificate, when the school leader studies for NPQH he or she cannot use the same post graduate certificate to claim exemption from any area of NPQH.
Please inform Leadership East of any exemptions you feel you may be eligible for. You will be asked to complete the Exemptions form and return it to Leadership East. Exemptions from any content will not have a bearing on the price of the programme.
Please note that for a previous qualification to be considered for an exemption, it must have been completed within the last THREE years.